Re: Protecting Your Investment

To: "Doug Clark" <dougmclark@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Protecting Your Investment
From: James Barrett <jamesbrt@mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 20:08:05 -0500
At 12:31 AM 12/21/2001 +0000, you wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>I'm in market for a rev limiter. Can anyone recommend brand/model that works
>well with the Tiger. Also if their are "types" that you don't recommend. Any
>and all information will surely help my quest to protect the engine from a
>sever case of lead footitis.
>
>Thanks
>Doug Clark

Doug,
        I use an MSD-6AL ignition  with a 6000 RPM plug in module.
Using a new aftermarket Tach as a reference, I can floor my 351C
in neutral and the tach sets steady at exactly 6000 RPM.  Tnere is no
special sound that indicates that the rev limiter is activated,
just steady running of the motor.  I replaced my distributor with
a later model Ford Magnetic pickup type.  You can get a similar one
for the 260 , 289 or 302  as a rebuilt from the local good parts
store.  The MSD-6AL came with 5000, 6000 and 7000 RPM plug in modules.
Other RPM setting plug ins are available at hot rod parts dealers.
        Only minor problem with the MSD-6AL is that when you turn the
ignition on, it generates an initial spark, and you get a "clunk" at times
when you are first starting the motor. ( when the "random" turn on spark
occurs and attemps to drive the motor backward.)
James Barrett Tiger II 351C and others