Aluminum head firewall clearance

To: <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: Aluminum head firewall clearance
From: "Mike Sutter" <mjsutter@cts.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 18:35:45 -0800
Steve Laifman wrote the following:

"Some of the Ford MotorSport crate motors come with GT-40 Aluminum heads,
but here,
as with the others, you still have that firewall clearance.  This is
compounded by
aggressive roller rockers.  I believe they will fit under the Cast TIGER
covers,
with clearance holes drilled in the steel internal baffles just above the
center
stud nut for clearance, but with a thicker gasket.  Still would like to
hear from
those that have put aluminum heads on their engines, and what the firewall
clearance issue really is."

Listers,

I installed a Ford Motorsports GT-40 crate motor # M-6007-B50 with the SVO
M-6049-Y302 "Turbo Swirl" aluminum heads in my Tiger about 3 years ago. The
Valve train is the SVO GT-40 Kit # M-6090-X302, 1.94 Intake and 1.54
Exhaust. The cam is the Motorsports B303 model, lift is .480"
Intake/Exhaust and duration is 224 Degrees Intake/Exhaust. I do not run
roller rockers.

I run stock type valve covers that I purchased from Tony Branda. I had no
installation/clearance problems between the heads and the firewall. during
the installation. I did have to pinch the small baffle under the PCV valve
inlet to fit between the stamped steel rockers though. I run stock type
cork gaskets. I can get the valve covers off with a minimum level of
effort, I used socket head screws instead of hex heads and I modified (cut)
a hex key to reach the rear bolts without too much hassle.

CAT headers bolt right up to the heads. No hassles there either. BTW the
CAT MkII alternator bracket also bolts right up to the front of the right
head.

The car did 256 HP at the rear wheels on a Dynojet 248C Dyno in January.

Mike Sutter
'66 Tiger