inquiry 091699a

To: "National Corporation (E-mail)" <tigers@autox.team.net>
Subject: inquiry 091699a
From: "Wright, Larry" <larry.wright@usop.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 07:37:10 -0400
steve kenyon wrote:
>measure the distance on each side from the plug
>inside the diff to the axle housing flange.  If it varies
>more than one eighth inch you may have the wrong
>carrier.  What ratio was on the carrier and what ratio
>are you installing? The plug should move a little. Did
>you have to shim the carrier lots to get proper backlash?

Thanks; good advice, especially as I now see no way of resolving this
short of pulling the whole assembly back out of the car. As for
backlash, just a couple of thousandths. Ratios? going from 2.88 to 3.07.

Andy  (San Diego) wrote:
>In the 70's there was a water injection system that was
>very simple and believe it or not actually worked quite
>well. I wonder if someone is still making these? Does
>anybody remember them?

Remember them? Heck, I still have the Spearco system down in my basement
from my old Datsun. It would probably still work, but I think the
biggest problem would be finding room underhood for the reservoir, as it
was rather large. As I recall, I too used a water/methanol mix.

Jay wrote:
>While your car may be running differently, I would
>suggest the more likely result may be the cold air on
>the tach itself.  I know that when I drove my car to
>work in the early mornings when it was in the 40s/50s,
>the RPM at a given speed was in fact different than the
>RPM shown for the same speed when I came home
>and the temp was in the 70s.

Yeah; the cold, dense air slows the needle down. :^)

Lawrence R. Wright, Purchasing Analyst
U S Office Products, Mid-Atlantic Division
Formerly Andrews Office Products
larry.wright@usop.com (new)
Ph. 301.386.7923  Fx. 301.386.5333