Re: im looking to put a 351 in my tiger(long)

To: alcon@earthlink.net, tigers@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: im looking to put a 351 in my tiger(long)
From: MWood24020@aol.com
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 16:04:38 EDT
In a message dated 7/24/99 12:50:50 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
alcon@earthlink.net writes:

<< Criminal might be a bit harsh.  It may not be what many of us would like or
 want to do, but it IS his car, and he can do what he wants.  As a matter of
 fact, I know Jim's conversion has lead to many positive technical
 experiences that have been of great benefit to the Tigger
 community.....IMHO, to which I still believe we are ALL entitled to.  Even
 if you do think it criminal. >>

I agree that characterizing the intention to irrevocably modify a MkII as
"criminal" is over the top. I have a great admiration and respect for those
who can re-engineer and modify with positive results. I am a racer and rodder
at heart.
However, I think that if a person is fortunate enough to have a MkII THAT IS
ALL THERE it is insane to cut it up and take one more of the rarest Tigers
out of the universe. Of course, if the car has already been modified
extensively, is missing many of the MkII specific pieces (and the owner has
no desire to pay the ridiculous prices some think, including the "market"
(unfortunately), are justifiable) or otherwise is not a restoration or
personalized Tiger candidate, go for it...
The bottom line is that if this individual does own a presentable, or
restorable, MkII, it makes much more sense to sell it and buy a more
reasonable modified candidate. Either pick up a previously cut up Tiger or
build a hot rod Alpine (no offense intended to Alpine owners). He will be
many $$ ahead of the game and the world will not lose another MkII.
I am not an advocate of Tigering becoming a clone of the Corvette world,
where if you don't have "correct" overspray or chalk marks your car is
somehow looked down upon!
Mike