Re: Dust Shields

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Dust Shields
From: "Jay Laifman" <Jay_Laifman@countrywide.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 1998 08:16:49 -0800

Larry writes:
>>> 7) Repeat question: how about ditching the front disc dust shields?
>> I cleaned mine up powder coated them and put them in a box.
>No side effects? Good!

When the Alpine first came out, braking in the rain caused the car to pull
to one side, and it went through brake pads very quickly.  According to the
book, "The Classic Sunbeam" by Chris McGovern, Sunbeam got together with
Girling and, using Alpines as test cars, developed a cure.  If I recall
correctly, this was a problem all other cars with disc brakes were having
and the solution helped them all.  I believe part of the cure was the dust
shield.  So, I'm not sure I would be very quick to remove them.  I'll check
on what it says in the book tonight and report back.

Jay