Re: u s radiators

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: u s radiators
From: befarkas@ncsu.edu (Brian E. Farkas)
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 1998 15:36:51 -0500
Hi Gang,
I don't get to write in very often as I don't (as yet) have a Tiger, but in
the area of heat transfer, fluid mechanics, and heat exchangers I can
contribute!

The comment on the triple pass radiator that "I have never heard an
explanation" prompted me to write in. While I haven't actually seen one of
these rascals the comment that "it works very well but may require
excessive water pump pressure" and "a two-pass... leaves the outlet and
inlet on the same side" leads me to believe that the design concept would
be similar to "stacking" multiple single pass radiators and plumbing them
in serial with the hot fluid coming in the back most radiator and the
coolest fluid leaving out the front radiator.

The amount of heat transfered from a given heat exchanger (such as a
radiator) is proportional to the area available for contact between the hot
fluid and the cooling media.  So, as the number of passes increases so does
the surface area and thus heat removal ability. In addition to surface
area, the heat transfered is also a function of the temperature difference
between the hot and cold fluids at the inlet and exit. This is not a simple
average temperature (as they are changing from the inlet to outlet) but a
"log-mean" temperature difference...suffice to say that a bigger
temperature difference will lead to increased heat transfer. Therefore the
design mandates that (hopefully) the hot fluid enters at the back most pass
where the air is now hot but the temperature differece remains large and
the coolest fluid leaves at the front where the air is the coolest thus,
again, giving the biggest temperature difference. The last variable in this
calculation is the velocity of the two fluids (in our case air and cooling
fluid). Higher velocity of each leads to increased heat transfer by several
mechanisms that I will spare you from hearing about (Lecture # 37!).

Hope the above rattle is helpful. If you have questions let me know. I love
this stuff!

Brian Farkas
Tiger owner someday!  and
Assistant Professor, Process Engineering
NC State University