Re: All Rootes registry

To: <alpines@Autox.Team.Net>, "Lawrence E. Mayfield" <mayfield@traveller.com>
Subject: Re: All Rootes registry
From: "Rich Atherton" <gumby@connectexpress.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 1998 19:25:15 -0700
    If I was looking to steal a car, I'd first see what I want driving on the
street, then follow it home, case the place for a while, then grab it.  Or just
walk up to you at a stop light and pull a gun, and it's mine !    There is
always somebody who may want it more than you, and are willing to do to YOU what
ever it takes to take it from you...There called criminals!

    getting the information for a particular kind of car is not that difficult
to do.  hell the state of Washington used to supply this information upon
request!  I got some mail once because I had a particular kind of old car, and
it wasn't a recall notice.

    But you know something?  if it was stolen, it would be easier to spot
because of the database!  They aren't going to keep the car, they're going to
unload it, and when someone goes to look at, the Criminal, won't even know about
the plaque, and may look it up on the web, which you would of course have noted
as STOLEN...CALL THE POLICE !!!.  In which case you would get it back BECAUSE of
this registration !!!  Just keep that in mind

    The database would NOT include addresses of the owners, or even the City but
may include the state...it would be up to you..in fact ALL of the information
would be up to you.  The more complete it is, the better.

believe me, if someone wants to steal your car, they will, but they won't be
shopping here for it.  The VAST majority of car theft are thefts of opportunity.
i.e. you left the keys in it, or unlocked in a bad area,  advertised that you
had a super expensive stereo in it, or car jacked....But shopping for a
particular vintage car, that is very easily spotted....would be a very rare
occurrence..

Rich