Re: RECLASSIFICATION OF TIGER

To: "Schonberger, Barry" <bkschonb.ucs@smtp.usi.edu>
Subject: Re: RECLASSIFICATION OF TIGER
From: Tom Hall <modtiger@engravers.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Jun 1998 00:06:32 -0700
At 04:24 PM 6/17/98 -0400, you wrote:
>Please find below the text of Tom Patton's letter to the SCCA Board of
>Directors and Competition Board concerning the proposed reclassification
>of the Sunbeam TIGER from GT2 to GT1, effective 1/1/99.  SCCA member
>input on this proposal is critical to its defeat. ...

I think that the early success of Doane Spencer's tremendous technical
creativity, and Jim Adams adaptive driving ability, under Ian's sponsorship
so frightened the SCCA Competition Board in their first year of Tiger
Competition, that Tom Patton is still feeling the prolonged effect.
Essentially the moment that the Rootes Factory became part of Chrysler,
SCCA pulled all of the Rootes International Automobile developed (Factory
Homologation) parts from the Spec Book.  The intent in this move to kill
the competitiveness of the Marque is more than just a little obvious.
With all we know about the history of the Marque, this  tenuous
relationship with SCCA remains one area that is still shrouded in mystery.
Who or what in this organization is still concerned that a 33 year old low
production orphan sportscar can still be made competitive.

I can only surmise that this is another case of "follow the money".  I'll
try to gather some input from STOA members that may still belong to SCCA,
although that in itself may prove fruitless in the SF Region.

Hope to see you in Montana.