"Aluminized" Was Tiger Techs

To: tigers@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: "Aluminized" Was Tiger Techs
From: "Chad Raynal" <chad.raynal@mailexcite.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 1998 08:53:05 -0700
This is off the "AK" steel site.

"The aluminized pipe runs much like the hot-dip galvanize line, except that the
steel
is coated with aluminum here rather than zinc.  After the strip is uncoiled, it
passes
through a coating pot where  finishing knives apply the correct amount of
Aluminum
coating. It is then cooled by air, chemically treated to prevent rusting,
recoiled,
and shipped."

I have aluminized pipe on an older Z-28 Camaro, a '70 Chevelle, and a '92 1LE
Camaro
(came stock).  The only place where this pipe seems to discolor or rust is when:

* it's scratched
* near a weld
* and a slight discoloration along the seam

It's great stuff, but not even close to 304 stainless in resilience.  Please
don't
lash out at my allegiance to Chevy.. as you can see, my Tiger got the custom
built
304 stainless system.

-Chad