Re: Dwell

To: Steve Laifman <laifman@flash.net>
Subject: Re: Dwell
From: rpalmer@ames.ucsd.edu (Bob Palmer)
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 97 12:57:56 PDT
Steve,

Perhaps my comments to Ken have cleared up what I did with the inductor in
my case.  Some kind of step-down transformer is needed to drive the input to
the Jaeger tach when there is too little current flowing through the points
to drive it.  Probably a 10:1 step-down with rather low impedance; perhaps
an audio matching transformer can be found that is suitable (small size,
etc.).  My motivation to explore this is somewhat reduced because I now have
a modern Smiths tach which is voltage rather than current triggered.  If
there's enough interest, perhaps there's a transformer available from Radio
Shack, etc. that will drive the Jaeger tach from most electronic ignitions
like the MSD, etc.
One of these days I'm going to take a look at my tachometer/ignition system
with an o'scope.  I suggest you guys do the same.  It would be interesting
to know how much current it takes to run the Jaeger tach (with a single turn
at the input), for example.

Later,   Bob Palmer