Broken speedos (and other sad stories with a bright ending)

To: laifman@flash.net, STUART_BRENNAN@hp-andover-om3.om.hp.com
Subject: Broken speedos (and other sad stories with a bright ending)
From: Spook37211@aol.com
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 1997 10:44:33 -0500 (EST)
Hi all,

Recently, while driving along in the Tiger (guessing at my true speed as I
have done for years since installing the 3.07 rear gears) my speedo started
making the most God-awful racket; it then begin to bounce around.
 Mysteriously, it then fixed itself.

All was well for a few weeks, then one day as I reversed out of the drive and
started down the street, there was a <pop>, and the speedo read zero.

When I got home, I checked the cable, and found it was broken.  I figured
that the warranty had finally run out, so I ordered a new one and installed
it the next time I was home.

Guess what!!!!!  Another <pop> and another cable bites the dust.  This time I
pull the speedo out and chuck a piece of cable up in a drill to see if the
speedo is working.

Not only does it not work, but it snaps the cable.  It is well and truly
jammed.

After the requisite cursing and swilling of Old Peculiar, I picked up my
Hemmings and called Palo Alto Speedometer in Palo Alto, CA.  Nice guys!  My
ratio test form arrived in time for my next off days, my wife and I measured
out the 52 ft. 9 1/2 in. specified in the instructions at a nearby
supermarket parking lot (one can only guess what the employees thought was
going on.....) filled out the paper, and shipped the speedo off.

It arrived back in under three weeks, looking like a new one, and most
wondrous! read with accuracy.  Frankly, it is a bit strange being able to
refer to the speedo and actually getting an reading that you can bet your
license on.........but I'm sure I can adapt.

Anyway, I heartily recommend Palo Alto Speedo.  They are @ 415-323-0243, and
not only make your speedo look like new, but calibrate it to you gears.

Best Regards,
Ray