BusterCluster Wrap-up

To: "Midget/Sprite" <midgetsprite@yahoogroups.com>,
Subject: BusterCluster Wrap-up
From: "Jim Johnson" <bmwwxman@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2006 22:44:39 -0500
Finally, I have time to sit and put this together. I returned home
Monday evening. My flight from SNA to DFW and finally AMA went well
(much better than the near misses I had going last Friday). Then I had
a 250 mile motorcycle ride from Amarillo TX to Dodge City KS in
100-105 degree heat. I had to keep stopping about every 50 miles to
cool off a little. This bike is liquid cooled and the heat off the
radiator (about 150 degrees) hits you right in the crotch. I got in at
about 8:30 pm local and was exhausted and very dehydrated. After
drinking about 2 quarts of ice water and watching a little more of my
"Making of Grand Prix" DVD I collapsed into bed.

Observations:
First of all, wow.  Just plain wow.  I can't begin to do the
experience justice with other words but here's a stab at it.

People:
I had not actually met any of the people involved though I have been
on these lists for two years now. I've always enjoyed the lists for
their light hearted humor and good natured teasing in addition to the
superb help they have provided me as I get my Midget back on the road
and fix things on it. To actually come face to face with these
terrific people was a blessing I will remember the rest of my days.
They were truly awesome in every way and were even better than the
lofty places my mind's eye had assigned them previously. The cross
section of personal LBC knowledge was mind blowing and I welcomed
every bit of it. Although we were introducing ourselves to each other
as we worked on Buster's car, it still felt like we had known each
other for years. The warmth of the camaraderie was more like that
which I experienced with various military units of my past. You just
automatically admired and trusted everyone around you and they you.
It was almost magical - like you had been transported to some mythical
utopia. If everyone on earth could be thrown into an environment
filled with such good will and diversity, world peace, I believe,
might just be possible instead of a pipe dream.

Personal Thanks:
Ron Soave for the concept, certainly, but Buster and Pam for the
unbeatable hospitality. I watched Pam cook breakfast for nearly 20
people Saturday and Sunday mornings as well as an endless supply of
fresh, hot coffee which she continually trotted out to the garage
area. Then there was lunch and dinner each day which the Evans crew
provided with a smile. I asked repeatedly if there was anything I
could do to help and was told that what I was doing for them with the
car was the best help I could provide. How do you top that?

As to the garage monkeys:
Top marks across the board for the entire crew with special nods to
Peter, Paul and Frank (hows that for a 60s folk music group? :-) The
rest of us grabbed anything we could to help out and had an absolute
ball doing it. Awards for the grimiest souls go to: Glen B., Hal F.,
Larry M., Jay F., and Warren though others certainly tried very
hard...

Finally, the networking was terrific. Whenever my aged legs, back,
knees and feet required a break from concrete floor duty, I was able
to visit with different people. Stories were exchanged about each
other's lives, families, hobbies, homes, cars, motorcycles, interests
in art and music...you name it. Everyone there was a fount of
incredible knowledge and experience in life, let alone in LBCs.

In summation, the entire event was almost an overload for the senses.
There wasn't a soul there that didn't have something significant to
offer to the gathering. My life has been greatly enriched by the
experience. It even changed my email signature line (see below).

Now I am thinking about the golden jubilee in 2008. We must turn that
event into something just as exhilarating for everyone involved  -
whatever it takes... we can do it...

Cheers!!
Jim - 68 Midget in Dodge City
--