Need Some Help

To: spridgets@autox.team.net
Subject: Need Some Help
Date: Sat, 2 Apr 2005 21:57:39 EST
My 59 Bugeye with it's 1275 finally came down off the blocks today for a test
run.

The engine really pulled well until it hit about 2800 rpm at which point it
begins to pop and act like it is short of breath.  When I pulled back into the
garage it made a very LOUD POP, sort of a last gasp type of thing.  I almost
hit the floor!

I increased the mixture and some of the popping went away - but it still
gasps for breath.

When there is no load - the engine runs fine up through the RPM range.

It has K and N filters which have been serviced and are clean.   A new fuel
filter (which although new may have picked up some crap from the tank since the
car had sat for so long).  It has a new Facet fuel pump and it is running
stock SU's.

The car has sat in a garage for over 7 years before I bought it.

The carbs were dialed in using a Colour Tune and a air flow measuring unit.

Spark is by way of a Mallory Dual point.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Kirk