Water pump or alternator??

To: spridget list <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Water pump or alternator??
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 17:11:10 -0400
Hey guyz,

While out picking up essentials around town today in the 72 Midget,
I started noticing a whistle from the engine area. Thought it might
be a vacuum leak or a belt. Got it home OK and took (wrestled!)
off the fan belt. Thought I still detected a slight whistle so figgered
it's a leak. Gonna check, But ...

After I finally wrestled the fan belt back on and started it up I have a
tic-tic-tic coming from somewhere at the front of the engine. When I
again took off the fan belt, it was gone. Just to be sure, I readjusted the
valves but that didn't cure it.Gotta be the water pump or the
alternator I guess. Is either one more likely than the other to sound like
a really really loud valve clatter???

chuck

Check out the new British Cars Forum: