RE: confession time

To: "Robert E. Shlafer" <PilotRob@webtv.net>
Subject: RE: confession time
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2004 21:34:18 -0500
Cc: <Dbcooper292@aol.com>, <spridgets@autox.team.net>
I gotta admit, I think Porsche's 356B Roadster is the prettiest car ever to
come out of Germany.  I've got a friend's 356B Roadster in my workshop, now
and it stops me in my tracks every time I take the cover off of it.  They
are a car that looks much better "live" than in photos.  But then, my own
356B coupe has the same effect on me.  Those lines are so clean, flowing and
purposeful....no concessions for styling vs. aerodynamics.  The 356s have a
lower CD than the 911s do!  0.31, if memory serves me correctly as opposed
to 0.33 or something like that, for the 911.
Speaking of coupes, I always liked the special, Midget coupes that Abingdon
built for Dick Jacobs, as well as some of the special, Sprite coupes that
Healey built for Sebring and LeMans.  I can't help but think that they would
have been very successful if BMC had decided to refine them a bit and put
them into production.  Nothing like a nice, snug little coupe on a dark,
rainy night, with a few hours travel time ahead.  A hard top on a
convertible/roadster just isn't quite the same....although I have to admit
that my 1500 Spitfire, with factory hardtop, was pretty nice in foul
weather.
Bud Osbourne