Zaaap! RE: Battery Disconnect (for a Dork)

To: <Ajhsys@aol.com>, "Spridgets" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Zaaap! RE: Battery Disconnect (for a Dork)
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 19:51:00 -0700 m>
Reminds me of the time last year when working on our hybrid program at
school. Some freshman was fiddling with some seat belts or something in the
rear passenger seat and droped the 12mm wrench he was using. We had the
floor out and the wrench landed on one of the partially drained battery
packs (240V DC lead-acid batteries) that a second student was working on.
The second student had just walked away for a minute and was on his way back
when he heard the wrench drop. He yelled out, and just then everybody in the
building heard "KAAA-ZAPPP!!!!". Little bits of molten 12mm craftsman wrench
everywhere within 10 yards. Battery pack had cracked and was foaming and
dripping acid everywhere. Amazing the only bodily harm was the guy who
droped the wrench was wearing shorts... and he had nice spatter pattern
molten steel burn marks on one of his legs. Wrench was vaporized. Student
was charged for only the wrench and not the battery pack. We swept up as
much as we could and it only came out to about 1/10th the weight of the
original wrench.

And hence the car was named "Atomic Amperage".

Toby