Re: Bugeye Engine Rebuild

To: Jeff24fan@aol.com, GreenBugeye@aol.com, racerbob@hotmail.com, davriker@pacbell.net, mgraziano@mindspring.com
Subject: Re: Bugeye Engine Rebuild
Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2000 01:32:53 -0800
Cc: spridgets@autox.team.net
At 09:18 PM 12/20/2000 , Jeff24fan@aol.com wrote:
>Hello Boys;
>
>Newcomer to this email list. Please be gentle :)  I currently own a '79
>Carmine Red MG Midget and a Cherry Red/Surface Rust :) '59 Bugeye Sprite. The
>MG is nearly mint (21K original miles) other than the paint job it
>desperately needs and will be getting this spring. The Bugeye is in need of a
>complete restoration which I will begin in the Spring as well. My question to
>all of you is, any ideas what an engine rebuild for a 948cc should run? I got
>a quote for $5000 and nearly had a heart attack. I'm very much a purist and

   I can answer that :)  I am rebuilding my 1098 as we speak.  I spent
$1,000 on parts, this was everything you can think of inside the
motor...from pistons, to all 8 valves, pushrods, oil/water pumps,
everything...the machining cost me $850, that was boring the block, doing
the head and reprofiling the cam (the only non-new part in the motor along
with the crank) and balancing the motor also (a added expense that I
believe is worthwhile), I also had the machine shop assemble the block and
head, meaning he put the pistons in and put the head on, that is all he
did, I still have to do all the other stuff on the motor, that was a small
added expense but this way I didn't have to deal with the plasticgauge and
he guarantees his work that way.  So by the time I am done with details
that are left I will have about $2,000 into it and I feel that is probably
about the max since I pretty much had to replace everything because the
motor I started out with had been thrashed.

   Of course I am going to do the final assembly of all the details on the
motor like carbs/ignition and I am putting the motor in/out of the
car.  Was your $5000 quote with them doing ALL the work, pulling the motor,
rebuilding, putting it back in ? that still sounds high that way but it
does add to the cost.

         mike

~~~~~ I'd rather be sailing ~~~~~~~and \/    \/  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mike Rambour                              .oooO  Oooo.
Bug Writer er...Programmer            (   )   (   )
                                                        \_)  (_/
              mikey@b2systems.com
If you want to learn more about the ULTIMATE BRITISH sports car, then
take a look at   http://www.singercars.com/