Re: Quick engine swap?

To: "J. Adrian Barnes" <adrian@workgroup.net>, "spridgets@autox.team.net" <spridgets@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Quick engine swap?
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 01:14:07 -0400
Sender: owner-spridgets@autox.team.net
"J. Adrian Barnes" wrote:
> I'm contemplating an engine swap on a 1500 Midget.

  Like, to another 1500 engine or some other beast?

> Other than the water
> pump and radiator, is there anything else I should look for that might be
> restricting water flow?

  Hoses, and the entries to them. Thermostat could be frozen
shut. Lots of little things that are pretty easy to check
out.

  I recommend getting one of those kits that puts the socket
in the line for the garden hose. Then put a garden hose
in it, and turn it on and blast out everything.

  Getting the radiator steam cleaned is cheap, cost me $25 CDN with
tip at a local shop.

  The water pump is almost never at fault. Water pumps don't
last forever, but the failure is usually the bearing then
they squeal or leak. Even in the throes of death they
still move water around.

> Also, false economy aside, is it possible to look at a clutch
> and tell how much life is left on it?

  Never enough, change it. ;>

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.