Re: Wind tunnel access minor math ahead

To: "Mike Gigante" <mikeg@vicnet.net.au>, <Daniel1312@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Wind tunnel access minor math ahead
From: "Ron Soave" <redlotus@spacey.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 1998 19:57:37 -0500
Cc: <spridgets@Autox.Team.Net>
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Hey! No cheating here, either!  That was without books and tables.  The
wife has banned them from the house, and with good reason!  Can't remember
my phone number, but the Cp of ethylene glycol is in my head. Not good.

You are right - straightness is not necessarily laminar indication.  I was
over-simplifying a bit.  We call the flow adjacent to the body "boundary
layer" flow, and it is indeed laminar as you say.  My job is to cool stuff
with air Cycles and vapor cycles, and we do a lot of scoop design to get
air across those heat exchangers we've discussed ad nauseum.  The boundary
layer is a funny place, and we try to keep scoops out of it, and things
like antennas and radomes in it.  You can't recover much pressure there.
On our airplane the boundary layer can be many inches thick.  The problem
is that to get good recovery pressure in a scoop you therefore suffer a
drag penalty,  unless you do a flush NACA duct (triangle shaped), but that
takes up a lot of surface area.  Can't win.  Our biggest hassle is in the
transition area around Re=3000, the math gets unreliable (even CFD), and
you must test.

Enough with this technical crap, isn't there a good stock broker on the
list so we can make all some money?