Re: Quick hood (vinyl top) question

To: Dave Brown <davebrown1@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Quick hood (vinyl top) question
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 1998 07:41:03 -0800 (PST)
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Dave,
I don't think the top will stretch much at this point.
But I can tell you one thing.  If you can barely close it in the warm
garage, the is no way you will be able to close it after a sunny winter
day when you need it most.  You might ruin you front cathces in the
process of trying (speaking from experience).
Ulix

On Fri, 30 Oct 1998, Dave Brown wrote:

> Greetings fellow Spridgeteers.
>
> I am in the process of spiffing up my white '78 RB for the
> cool weather driving season. I have had the car a little
> over a year and the 10+year old top which came with the
> little guy shrunk this summer and the window turned red and
> cracked.
>
> Serendipitously, about a month ago, a stranger knocked on my
> front door and handed me a new vinyl top, saying that he had
> sold his Midget  three years ago and was just glad to see
> one still on the road. I was blown away.
>
> Today, I had a local upholstery shop put the new top  on.
>
> The fit is tight. It is difficult to close and latch (even
> in my warm garage.)  The frame seems not to be unfolding
> fully. The small bar parallel to and immediately behind the
> header rail only partially indents the vinyl, leaving the
> top rather flat. I am wondering if the vinyl was not cut a
> bit short.
>
> Here is my question:
>
> Does the vinyl stretch as it breaks in or does it only
> shrink?
>
> This is my first ever new top so I don't know  what to
> expect. Should I go back and ask that the fit be loosened
> (If this is indeed possible at this point) or not  worry,
> expecting the top to stretch?
>
> Any wisdom and experience shared will be gratefully
> appreciated.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Dave Brown
> Palmdale, CA