Re: Torqueing the Head - AND...

To: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Torqueing the Head - AND...
From: CONAN@RALVM8.VNET.IBM.COM
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 98 17:25:41 EDT
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
  I'm a littlllle late, but...  :-)

  On the thread from last weekend about the head gasket leaking oil at the
left-front corner of the block, where the oil to the rockers goes through...
  I seem to recall hearing that the Mini Cooper-S engines had an extra
head bolt/stud added at one corner.  Was that what this was for?  Or was
their compression so high they -really- needed it?

  A semi-related question...
  Are the Cooper-S pistons reasonably useable in a street engine these days,
or is the compression too high for our current 'premium' fuel?
  It's my understanding that these pistons have a -slight- dish in the
crown; while the '67 Spridget 1275 stock pistons have slightly more dish
(8.8:1?), and the later (8.0:1?) 1275's had even more dish.
  A friend of mine who -should- know what he's talking about wants me to
put Cooper-S pistons in my next engine; while I think I should stop at the
'67 (8.8:1) pistons.
  This is an academic question.  I have no immediate plans to actually -do-
anything about this stuff.
       Ed in NC