Re: Clutch Problems -- again!

To: chuck ciaffone <chuckc@ibm.net>, spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Clutch Problems -- again!
From: Stan Fickes <fickes@acm.org>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 1998 10:01:16 -0800
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Chuck-
Perhaps the bleed hole in the master cylinder has become plugged, and the
fluid pressure is not being allowed to equalize when the pedal is released.
 Is the clutch engaged or disengaged with the pedal up?  If you suspect
this, try opening the bleed screw; if fluid shoots out, the system is under
pressure.  Of course, be prepared to bleed the system out later...

Alternatively, someone may have put a wood block into the linkage...  ;)  sf

At 07:50 AM 2/20/98 -0500, chuck ciaffone wrote:
>Over night, it seems, my clutch has started to bind. At least that's
>what it feels like. Wednesday, the car ran great and the clutch felt
>fine. Thursday, the first day my wife has driven the car since
>I installed the 5-speed, she complained that she could barely
>move the clutch pedal. I thought she was just weak (she does
>lift weights, so I should have known better!). So I went out to
>the garage, confidently slid in and presses the clutch. Or, tried
>to. It feels like someone put a block of wood to wedge the clutch.
>
>I'm gonna get under it this weekend, check the mechanicals and see
>if I can get fluid to spurt out of the blled valve. But I really,
>really don't want to yank the engine/gearbox again.

Stan Fickes        Nothing is more rewarding than to watch
Software Engineer  someone who says it can't be done get
I-Cube, Inc.       interrupted by someone actually doing it.