Re: lube

To: Jeff Boatright <jboatri@emory.edu>
Subject: Re: lube
From: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Date: Sun, 8 Feb 1998 09:49:05 -0800 (PST)
Cc: spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Sender: owner-spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
On Sun, 8 Feb 1998, Jeff Boatright wrote:

> Spridgeteers,
>
> What greases do you prefer for the different components? The manual
> specifices general purpose (giving the example of Duckhams LB10) for
> tie-rod end balljoints,  steering and suspension grease nipples.  I assume
> that LB 10 is a lithium-based grease? I'm wondering if a moly-based grease
> wouldn't be better (was moly readily available in the 60s?) for balljoints
> and suspension.

Well, since they spec. General Purpose grease, I interpret that as "use
any grease you want" and use moly grease.  IMO, it is much more important
to grease especially the front suspension regularly.

> Also, is there a problem with using moly as a wheel bearing grease, or
> should lithium be used? Along these lines, do any of the grease nipples on
> the stub axle assembly supply the front bearings with grease? If not, how
> are these bearings lubricated as I find no mention of it in the BL workshop
> maual, the Haynes, or the owner's manual.

I use moly as wheel bearing grease (I think it even says so on the can).
The brgs are lubed with grease at the time of installation.  They can be
opened up and regreased, which in the US is referred to as "repacking the
brgs".  You can also fit sealed brgs, I think.

> Finally, my tie-rod end balljoints do not have grease nipples. How are
> these lubricated? Hypo needle through the rubber?

Newer replacement types are sealed for life.  The rationale is that no
grease leaves it, so it doesn't have to be replaced.  Same applies for
U-joints.  Some have nipples, some don't.

Ulix

> Waiting with parched joints,
>
> Jeff

> Jeff Boatright          __o_\__           '65 Austin-Healey Sprite
> http://userwww.service.emory.edu/~jboatri/sprite/sprite.html

                                                           '67 Sprite