Re: [Spits] County Pistons Quality Control Issue

To: Glenn Franco <gaf3@charter.net>
Subject: Re: [Spits] County Pistons Quality Control Issue
From: Doug Braun <doug@dougbraun.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 16:33:05 -0500
Cc: spitfires@autox.team.net, 6pack@autox.team.net, Friends of triumph <fot@autox.team.net>
Another horror story:

A while back I replaced my Spit's rocker arm shaft with the part that most
vendors sold.  I believe it was "County"
branded, and it was made in India.  I went to adjust the valves a few days
later, and I noticed that the front four rocker arms
seemed rather oil-starved.  When I ran the engine with the rocker arm cover
off, I could see that only the rear four rocker
arms were getting lubricated.
It turned out that the shaft was not completely hollow:  They had
rifle-drilled it inwards from each end, but they did not drill
deep enough, and the two holes did not meet up in the center.

Doug