Re: [Spits] GT6 Differential & front springs

To: Todd Bermudez <red_tr250@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [Spits] GT6 Differential & front springs
From: Barry Schwartz <v6spitfireguy@cox.net>
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2008 04:20:05
Todd,
Well, unfortunately none of the early (pre 75 differentials) are really all
that strong.  There is no difference between the Spitfire (71-75) or GT6
differentials as well, as they all use the same internals .  I've had only
one ring gear go, but what usually breaks is the carrier - the 3.27 GT6
does use a special carrier, however its not any stronger, it just off-set
with special bolts to accommodate that ratio.  If the carrier went, the
only stronger diff is to use a 76 or later Spitfire and change the rear
case, or to use the internals from a small pumpkin TR7.  That is quite a
bit more work however, since the front housing has to be swapped out for
the Spit/GT6 front housing because the TR7 doesn't have the bolt holes for
the front mounting plate that the Spits/GT6s use -  The overdrive cars here
in the states had the 3.89 ratio and most of the later Spits and TR7's have
3.63 ratio, but you can change ring and pinions to give the ratio you need
- if you know how to do it correctly of course :-).  If you can get a
Quaife that will make it about as bullet proof as you can make it ( I've
had one in my V6 powered Spitfire for many years now without incident) but
while they are really marvelous, and I love mine, they are quite expensive -
 As for the springs - I'm not sure what you're trying to do exactly -