Re: [Spits] DCOE's for a Spit 6

To: Daniel Parrott <parrotthead01@comcast.net>, 'spitfires'
Subject: Re: [Spits] DCOE's for a Spit 6
From: scotts junk <smacsjunk@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 14:32:36 -0500
hi Dan

First off, if you aren't looking at building a full race engine, be aware that
going to triple DCOEs will be a strictly cosmetic change and may even result
in a loss of performance (can you say "bog") and poor milage (at least without
a LOT of tuning). The extra airflow that triple Webers can supply is only an
asset at very high RPMs that will require extensive headwork, a hot cam, valve
train mods, headers,etc. to produce any power beyond what what your stock
carbs, or a pair of HS6s or ZS 1.75s can produce (much simpler and less
expensive modification).

That being said (I have no objection to eye candy as long as the owner is
aware that that's what his shiny bits are), there are six cylinder Triumph
manifolds for Webers made specifically for the GT6 (and Spit6) which angle the
front carb down to allow for hood clearance. I believe Triumph Tune among
others sells these - they also come up ocassionally on e-BAY.

cheers
Scott> Subject: [Spits] DCOE's for a Spit 6> > I'm considering upgrading to
triple DCOE carbs for my Spit Six project car> while I'm at it. However, I
found several references that simple state "the> bonnet will have to be cut"
to accommodate the carbs. Does anyone have any> experience here? I wouldn't
mind a small hood scoop (sized like the bulge> in the TR-4's bonnet to clear
the SU's), but I don't want something too> large.>> Any ideas, thoughts?> >
Dan Parrott