Re: [Spits] Stainless test

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Spits] Stainless test
From: Spitfire4 <douglashansen@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2008 12:28:24 -0700 (PDT)
I have not seen any hardware that is magnetic; if you go shopping for nuts or
bolts in SS they will not be magnetic.
the SS bolts Ive used have been weak
and soft and require re torquing over time.  but I only use these in non
structural parts and always use lock washers and thread locker...

from wiki
Types of stainless steel
There are different types of stainless steels: when
nickel is added, for instance, the austenite structure of iron is stabilized.
This crystal structure makes such steels non-magnetic and less brittle at low
temperatures. For higher hardness and strength, carbon is added. When
subjected to adequate heat treatment, these steels are used as razor blades,
cutlery, tools, etc.
Significant quantities of manganese have been used in
many stainless steel compositions. Manganese preserves an austenitic structure
in the steel as does nickel, but at a lower cost.

Douglas A. Hansen
www.1147cc.com