Clutch mystery solved

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Clutch mystery solved
From: s1500@comcast.net
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 21:42:32 +0000
Sunday, I had an inspiration to do some work in the garage, despite the real
winter in Minnesota hitting.

First off, the input shaft bearing is off safely. It just took a resting of
said bearing on the vice, instead of clamping the beraing with the vice. Some
swacks of the hammer, and it was off. I thought it would have required a gear
puller or something.

Second, the clutch is finally off. One of the Allen bolts rounded out, so I
hammered a socket wrench bit onto it, and it unscrewed, thankfully without
snapping. Otherwise, I would have been there all night.

Third, the bellhousing was cleaned with gasoline. l poured the gas into a safe
container, and it was black as used motor oil. Wow.

The end result? The clutch was QUITE worn out. I could read the letters on the
rivets, which were about 2 mm flush with the clutch surface. That's a relief
that it was just plain wear & tear, and not an oil leak from its neighbors. No
wonder this thing slipped as often as it did.

Let's hope the Coventry clutch is as good as the blogger I wrote to said it
was, since it's ordered.

===     http://www.vtr.org