Re: TR:Spitfire - Electric Choke / The whole story

To: Spitfire <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR:Spitfire - Electric Choke / The whole story
From: "Jim Muller" <jimmuller@rcn.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 21:58:40 -0500
Hi, Shane.  I'm posting this to the Spitfires public so that someone
else might be able to check in and correct my errors!  Here are some
thoughts.

On 11 Jan 2007 at 6:48, you wrote:
> I have a 75 Spitfire with a Weber DGV Carb, header
> and elec ignition.

My first question would be how long you've had the Weber, whether it
has ever run well, etc.  It's not that I think it's a bad idea but
that once you open Pandora's box you never know what things will come
out.  The only useful knowledge any of us could bring is generic car
stuff, not specifics from previous LBC experience unless we too have
run that Weber.  Which I haven't.  Similarly, it would be good to
know how long you've owned the car.  If it is new to you you could be
just finding things that a PO messed up.

> They said that piston 1 was not firing and piston 3
> was barely hitting. They said they adjusted the valves
> and this took care of the problem with the firing.

Fair enough.  Valves have to get pretty far out for a cylinder not to
fire, which is why I wonder if it is new to you.

> Compression was 155/150/145/155.

Good.

> They also removed the manual choke because it was
> binding and installed a new elec choke.

This I don't understand.  Was it a kit specifically for that Weber?
How could a manual choke be binding?  If it was just a different
mechanism for operating the same butterfly (or whatever the DGV has)
and that butterfly was binding in the carb throat, then the electric
thing won't make any difference.  I wonder what "electric" means,
maybe that it reacts to the water temp.  One question is, did the
idle rpms start at 2k as he described, and drop to 850 by the time
you got home?  That would indicate it is at least doing something.

> he said to let it warm up and go through choke stages (2K rpm
> down to 850 idle RPM) before driving.

That's a lot of waiting before driving.  Too much for me.  It makes
me wonder what those shop guys were thinking.  Are you going to drive
on the street?  And they thought it was to be a track car?

> The temp guage never moved and it died a few times
> when I would come to a stop.

I bet the plugs are fouled because the choke never came off.  Pull a
plug and check.  Maybe your temp sensor is what is bad.  Or your
thermostat is stuck open.  Did the heater have any heat?

> I was wondering if the choke was partially closed even
> though I was driving it causing the problems above?

You're thinking the same thing I was thinking.

Personally, I like manual chokes!  At least I know what it is doing.

--
Jim Muller
jimmuller@rcn.com

===     http://www.vtr.org