Re: Spitfire Water pump

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Spitfire Water pump
From: <jimmuller@rcn.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 18:35:27 -0500 (EST)
Joe Curry said:
> So, while I am in the market for a new pump, I decided to
> order one designed for a later car with an alternator
> (larger pulley).

Ummmm, Joe, I'm not looking at my Spitfire right now but from memory and with
the knowledge of just about every other car I've ever seen...

The water pump and alternator are driven by the crankshaft pulley.  So changing
the water pump pulley size won't change the rate at which the alternator is
driven, merely slow down the speed of the water pump (and require a larger
belt).  If you want the alternator turned faster you'll need to replace the
crankshaft pulley with a larger one.

Or are you suggesting that the belt was slipping over the alternator pulley
because of the angles created by the water pump pulley?

Or maybe I missed something.  Or maybe you knew all this already and were
planning to replace the crankshaft pulley.  Or maybe you're just pulley-ing our
collective legs.  Or maybe this is a quiz.  Did I win anything?
--
Jim Muller

===     http://www.vtr.org