Re: [TR] Repair Operations Times

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] Repair Operations Times
From: "Jim Muller" <jimmuller@rcn.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 22:33:43 -0500
On 21 Nov 2006 at 18:17, TR250Driver@aol.com wrote:

> What do you think, Frame Change on a Spitfire 1500?

Tough call.  Others here have warned of the danger if Shipwright's
Disease.  You have to know when to stop, but also how to be happy
with the knowledge that you did.

My Spitfire was off the road for about a year.  I did some rust
scraping and painting on the panels and frame, replaced all the brake
lines, did some diff work, swapped OD unit, replaced a ujoint,
cleaned up the handbrake cable and mechanism.  None of it was
overwhelming but I have limited time (and space).

I wanted to be done sooner.  More to the point, I know what I left
undone, what I will have to re-visit someday.  On the other hand, I
know the car now has at least 5, maybe even 10 more years in it, and
is much safer.  So I can live with the knowledge that it is flawed.
(That car could never be a showcar anyway.)  Some people can't live
with it.

Which sort of person are you?

--
Jim Muller