Brake bleeding and other things

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Brake bleeding and other things
From: s1500@comcast.net
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 15:02:13 +0000
I finally got some time Sunday(after having fun the previous night at the
roller derby bout) to do some ragtop work & brakes.

Bleeding & flushing the front brakes were no fun at all. I thought I would
later get some solid fluid coming out of the bleeder valve, I stop and it will
be done. With the front 2 brakes, it never happened. Fluid just slowly trickled
out, even after the procedural topping up & pushing the pedals. Out went the GT
LMA and in went new GT LMA.

But, I decided to take the car for a test drive around. I slammed on the brakes
a few times, and each time I hit the brakes, it stopped just fine. It stopped a
lot better. You may remember my "2 stage braking" problem where the car stopped
the same but at 2 different pedal limits. That seems to have stopped. After the
test drive, a little topping up was needed. The oil was at max level and gold.
It drove exceptionally well.

As for the ragtop, it's a trying thing but I'm making progress. The back plate
was glued on, and I have a game plan. The button snap for the left b-post
finisher was pop riveted in after a minimum amount of play on the snap. This
was just after drilling in a new hole. I didn't like having to do it, but that
other hole was too far ahead of the b-post finisher. I went by the "true"
location of the button snap as to  when I screwed on the b-post finisher. Dunno
how it got 'ahead'.

I was initially worried that maybe the new ragtop was too small, but it was a
smidge bigger than the original. I put the original back on and it snapped on
tight as a drum. So I have to do some major exertion to get the front 2 button
snaps on and go from there. It doesn't seem difficult.

I was under the impression that the overlap on the frontmost part of the ragtop
was so much that you could fold it in and have to poke holes through the header
rail to pop rivet it through. It does not seem to be the case as there isn't
that much material.

And in wonderful off-topic news, I totalled my MINI 2 Thursdays ago due to
water damage. I miss that car. I've already got a MINI Cooper S lined up as its
replacement, just need to get the remaining funds.
--
http://infaux.net

===     http://www.vtr.org