Re: Another one bites the dust

To: mike@componentscience.net, Spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Another one bites the dust
From: zoboherald@aol.com
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2005 14:22:10 -0400
-----Original Message-----
From: Mike Welch <mike@componentscience.net>

     I've been a long-time lurker here on the Spit list.  I have a '69
Spitfire.... My Spit's
damage: all the body work behind the cockpit except the trunk lid is
mangled,
it might have bent the rocker panels (passenger door now rubs against
it).
Bumpers are surprisingly untouched, probably because I had a push-bar
installed.  It doesn't look like the frame was touched either.  The
other car
definitely won this battle, it had a few scratches in the bumper where
it hit,
his air bag didn't even deploy.
  If his insurance company totals my Spitfire, I'll be in the market for
another roundtail.  If anyone knows of one for sale around Colorado,
let me
know.

=====
Mike, glad you and your daughter are ok. Before saying goodbye to the
car, though, I'd a: hope for a really good settlement on it and b:
check with some good collision shops. If the frame is ok, looks to me
as if the car might be salvageable, although it probably will need at
least one quarter panel and a rear valence once the tub is pulled
straight again.

Yeah, I'm amazed at how little damage is shown on the car that hit you.
But once again, I'm impressed with how well a Spitfire took a hard hit
to the rear. Car still looks pretty straight, doors still open, etc. In
other words, the rear pretty much absorbed the impact while the cockpit
area stayed intact...just what you want to have happen, and just what
modern car manufacturers brag about!

--Andy  Mace

*Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?
*Man: Well, no ... It's not so  much of a jet, it's more your, er,
Triumph Herald engine with  wings.
 -- Cut-price Airlines Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus  (22)

Check out the North American Triumph Sports 6 (Vitesse 6) and Triumph
Herald Database at its new URL: <http://triumph-herald.us>