The trunk that won't close

To: spitfires@autox.team.net (Spitfires)
Subject: The trunk that won't close
From: s1500@comcast.net
Date: Tue, 09 Aug 2005 17:28:11 +0000
Well, I did something stupid Sunday. There's a piece of cardboard, used as a
shim between the trunk wall and the white plastic piece that the trunk
mechanism locks on.

Attempting to remove or replace it just resulted in problems. Sadly, putting
the original cardboard piece back in didn't work. The trunk now does 2 actions:
1. closes, but not all the way. You rotate the lock(while trunk closed), and it
doesn't snap shut, the lock in a constant sideways position.

Attempting to shim-ize the plastic striker mechanism results in a loud thunking
sound when attempting to close. In that case, the shim pushes too far out and
the striker doesn't line up. Thus it REALLY won't close.

Any ideas on this one? I tried unscrewing the screws(lovely how the threaded
plate on the other end falls inward) to get just the right setting, but no
luck. It ends up at case #1.  There doesn't seem to be a way to adjust the lock
from the trunk lid end.

I know I shouldn't have messed with it, but that piece of cardboard looked real
tacky.

--
http://infaux.net