Paint Stripping questions

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Paint Stripping questions
From: "Paul Grafelman" <pdgrafelman@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 13:58:38 +0000
List,

In the process of stripping all the paint from my 77. I am using Aircraft
Stripper and probably a DA with 80 grit to get the small remaining bits. A
few questions though:

1. After stripping the paint, I need to neutralize/clean the residue before
priming. In your experience, what's the best way to do this. The stripper
says to use mineral spirits, but won't this leave a residue? I've also read
that you can use soap and water, but this makes me nervous.

2. How long can I safely leave the sheet metal unprotected? It's in the
garage, no problem with exposure to weather or anything, but I'm worried
about moisture in the air. I hope to strip/repair/prime within a couple of
weeks, if it's safe to do so. I've hear of and tried to find Picklex 20, but
no-one around here has heard of it.

3. I want to strip and paint the underside of the tub, and I'd like to flip
it over, or on it's side, to do so, but I'm worried that it may buckle,
since it's not designed to support a load this way. OK to do this, and if I
need bracing, anyone know a good way to brace the door openings without
welding?

Paul Grafelman
70% sheet metal, 30% Yellow, '77 Spitfire