Re: calling all gearbox gurus - a new one on me

To: <ptegler@cablespeed.com>, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: calling all gearbox gurus - a new one on me
From: doug@dougbraun.com
Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2005 13:03:41 -0500
I've rebuilt a couple of gearboxes, but I can't remember if the 1/2 hub could
slide on the shaft or not.

But I remember one interesting thing from my first gearbox:  The 1/2 shifting
was very poor,
and when I took it apart, I discovered that the 1/2 hub (the inner portion of
part 156911)
was quite damaged.  The splines on the inside and outside were mushroomed,
the hub was rather loose in the mainshaft, and the 1/2 selector (the outer part)
was quite loose and floppy on the hub.  It looked like the hub had not been
properly hardened
during manufacturing.  I was able to get a new 1/2 shifter assembly from BPNW,
and the tranny went back together OK and worked fine ever after.

Doug Braun
'72 Spit