RE: Automotive GPS Software

To: "'James Carruthers'" <j.carruthers@rave.ac.uk>,
Subject: RE: Automotive GPS Software
From: "Gene Eighmy" <w4eae@netzero.net>
Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2004 14:14:13 -0600
Hi James,

My brother has a similar program for his iPAQ which has a nice sounding
lady tell him when to turn but it won't calculate performance.  Most GPS
receivers update once a second or so which isn't fast enough for
calculating 0-60 times... or maybe that's good enough for Spitfires...

The one you saw was probably the DynoStar GPS.  It updates positional
information 20 times a second so it can get accurate data for track
performance:
http://www.roadtune.co.uk/dynostar.shtml

Check your GPS specs.  Newer models might refresh faster.  You could try
finding or writing (aren't you a software dude?) a program that will
SPAM the GPS data out into a CSV file and import it into a spreadsheet.
If that worked, it would be pretty simple to calculate and display the
data.

Gene

GPS