Re: Short Strokes - Round Britain Reliability Run

To: Alan Lemen <ralemen@cableone.net>
Subject: Re: Short Strokes - Round Britain Reliability Run
From: James Carruthers <j.carruthers@rave.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 09:03:05 +0100
I am quite used to commuting just over an hours motorway drive each way
to work (when I worked)... and that was going quickly too... and I know
plenty of other people that have equally as long, and longer, drives to
work.

Also - the drives may be short - but they take a long time - the country
is so much more densely populated that it takes a lot longer to go
anywhere! Whilst I can't claim to have that much experience it does seem
that in North America - you tend to just get on the road/highway you
want and drive... it's not the same here...

Also you have to remember that nowhere is that far in the UK... not
unless you go across the water to Europe...

As for my favourite past time - motorsport - I wouldnt want to live
anywhere else! We have at least 6 or 7 famous circuits - all within 3 or
4 hours drive or so...

As for driving "long" distances - me and a friend have entered Club
Triumph's Round Britain Reliability Run... 48 hours driving, doing 2000
miles around the UK - from London up to the most northern part (John
O'Groats) and then down to the most southern (Land's End) and then back
to London - oh yeah - in my Spitfire (the only roundtail in the event I
might add)... though I think Im more worried about potential back ache
than the car breaking down! :o)

The run this year is in aid of the "Foundation for Children with
Leukaemia" - if anyone would like to sponsor us then my PayPal account
is this one (j.carruthers@rave.ac.uk) - or else get in touch.

More information can be found here:

http://club.triumph.org.uk/rbrr/

James