RE: Spitfire Gear Box Oil

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Spitfire Gear Box Oil
From: "Jim Holmgren" <jholmgren@advertising.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2004 11:39:51 -0400
So my synchros are grinding just a little bit, and I'm thinking before
finding someone to tear down and rebuild the transmission, perhaps I
should try just changing out the trans fluif.  Boy would that make me a
happy camper!

So, looking at MTL's website, are you using "MTL" or "MT-90"?

Also - it sounds a whole lot easier to pop the shifter out than to
access the "inaccessium" filler plug by removing the tranny cover (and
carpets and vertical dash support and various inner trim bits).

Any gotchas or downside to filling from the top?  Is there an
over-filling potential? (and would that necessarily be a bad thing?)

Thanks for the advice!

-Jim
'75 Spitfire 1500