Re: still on bearings

To: Todd france <triumphspitfire74@lycos.com>, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: still on bearings
From: Bill Manning <gripdad@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2004 16:18:40 -0800 (PST)
Todd,
I have been using the "Country" brand bearings for
both my mains and rods for five years now in a race
1296 Spit that runs at 8,000 RPM. They are available
at Vicky Brit or I'm sure Nigel at Spitbits has good
bearings available. The Vandervells are not readily
available these days but if you can get them I would
use them. I wouldn't worry about using a different
brand of mains but I would use all the same brand
mains and all the same brand rods.
The long thick washers are Thrust Washers and must be
installed with the oil groove towards the rotating
crankshaft. You must measure the crankshaft end float
to determine which thickness Thrust Washers you need.
You can use a dial indicator or a feeler gauge to
determine the float as per the manual.
Be sure to use assembly lube on the side of the
bearings that touch the crankshaft and on the
thrustwasher face and use a torque wrench on the rod
and main bolts. Good luck.
      -Bill-     VARA  DP Spitfire #3