Re: removing trans... 'shoe horn

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: removing trans... 'shoe horn
From: <ptegler@cablespeed.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 07:31:26 -0500
You don't need to remove your seats. Actually...
having the passenger seat there, makes things a bit easier.
Personally, when I pull mine, I'm seated in the passenger
seat and the tranny ends up in my lap, before I get out
of the car with it.

An easy trick.... before you even unbolt anything....
slip a tarp under the tranny and over the frame rails

Place a jack under the oil pan at the rear (preferably
with a block of wood against the pan) but not under the edge
of the engine back plate or bellhousing lip.

Disconnect the rear driveshaft bolts and tranny rear mount.

Unbolt the bellhousing/engine bolts.  Now jack the motor
up about 1-2" which will raise the tail cone to clear the
driveshaft coupling.

Now just yank the whole tranny straight back to get the
input shaft to clear the clutch. Let the bell housing drop onto the
frame rails.  Now since the tarp is laying in between the
tranny and frame, you can literally 'drag' the tranny out
by the tarp.  This will also help keep grease and grime off
the interior of the car. (kinda' like a giant diaper) It will also
help stop the oil drian plug from catching on stuff as you try
to pull the tranny out.  You'll need to lift the tail cone to
angle the bellhousing to get it out from under the edge of
the dashboard.

Before re-installing, make sure a stud or two is installed
in the top holes. This will help align the tranny when trying to
get it back in.  Going back in, again... the tarp will help let you
slip/move
the tranny around to get it back into position., again keeping the
interior grease free.  My tarp...is one of those cheap blue
plastic tarps, just folded over a few times.

This is where a second person can REALLY help.
Your helper can help position the front of the bellhousing to help
get the input shaft back into the clutch.

Get your helper to straddle the engine, standing on the tops
of each wheel's a-arms.  Use a piece of rope, looped around
the bellhousing, and the ends of the rope passed up past
the firewall, between the engine and firewall. Your helper
can then pull on the rope to raise/lower the bellhousing
while you lift the tail cone to get things lined up.

Then lower the jack carefully to let the tranny rest back on
its rear mount,

Paul Tegler
ptegler@cablespeed.com
www.teglerizer.com