Re: 4-2-1 header for Spitfire

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 4-2-1 header for Spitfire
From: Terry Thompson <firespiter@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2004 10:24:04 -0800 (PST)
I emailed brian directly, but for anyone else who is
interested:
At the time, I bought the Rimmer because it was the
least expensive SS model. I paid like $230 and got
free shipping because Rimmer was having one of their
bi-annual "free ship offer" for orders over #200.
Exchange rate was favorable to the U.S and I got a
couple of other items to make up the difference.

Now, exchange rate is like $1.85 to #1. But it looks
like Rimmer has reduced the price of headers. They are
#135 without vat (we don't pay VAT in the US), so it's
about $250 still.

Last time I talked to Ted, TSI did not offer a
stainless model, but if you wanted Ceramic coating it
added about $100 to the cost. I don't know if he
offers stainless now, but I haven't seen it on his web
page.

Nigel at spit bits sells a Bell header in stainless
for $365, which is very nice but you could buy a
Rimmer one at retail and pay for ship and still have
money left over.

So the break down is as follows:
-Spit Bits (Nigel) SS bell unit $365
-Rimmer bros SS unit $250 + ship (unless you order
with one of their free ship offers).
-TSI mild steel unit $150 ($250 w/Ceramic)
-Moss sells a triumph tune ss header which costs an
unknown amount.

Last comment is that whenever I tell people that I
order parts from the UK, they always go "Oh man, I
don't want to have to wait 6 months for a damn part!".
Well, I always get parts 1-2 weeks after I order them
(multiple orders from Rimmer and 1 from Jigsaw).

When I ordered the header from Rimmer, I FAXED them my
order late Tuesday night, and the header was on my
door step that following monday. 4 business days later
with pretty british postage marks on it. Color me
surprised.
-Terry