Re: Swing spring

To: "Spitfires List" <Spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Swing spring
From: "jonmac" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 2003 23:52:14 +0100
I suppose it's all academic or semantics but ....
The late Ray Henderson whose sad death was recently reported in several UK
club mags, The Vintage Triumph and possibly even Triumph World - entirely
overcame the questionable rear end handling of all Spitfires and GT6's. This
is simply because Ray (who worked for almost all his career in ST Experimental
Department in Coventry) built a rigid axled Spitfire as an experimental car
with combined coil/damper units and four link location. It's handling was so
outstandingly good, there was a distinct possibility the Spitfire and GT6
would adopt the layout. Some months ago, I saw a picture of Experimental
driver, Gordon Birtwhistle, driving the car in question. The pic has Gordon on
the apex of a bend at very high speed and with the Spitfire arguably at the
limit of adhesion but with absolutely no signs of drama at the back end.
Unfortunately, Ray's modification flew directly in the face of the marketing
people (and probably a few unmentionables in Engineering?) who wouldn't even
countenance a reversion to a beam axle. ST was proud of its claim to be the
first British manufacturer to offer independent suspension on its entire
range. Admittedly, the re-design would have cost a wad but then along came
Toledo and Dolomite featuring many of Ray's secret ingredients. Perhaps the
Toledo wasn't everyone's cup of tea in any department as far as aesthetics or
performance was concerned but Toledo and Dolomite (in 1850 and 16 valve Sprint
form) all had outstanding handling characteristics for cars of their time -
and streets ahead of the cart spring alternative. But then, I recall it took a
very long time for 'Henry' to abandon the live rear axle concept on all its
Escort rally cars and long, long after others were eulogising an independent
alternative.
Suppose it's another example of Standard-Triumph paying more attention to
saving money than attempting to make a better car as was so often the case.

Jonmac