Exhaust manifold - welds vs epoxy?

To: Spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Exhaust manifold - welds vs epoxy?
From: "Greg Rowe" <growe58@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 10:17:04 -0400
My 78 spitfire with catalytic converter suffers from cracks in the exhaust
manifold.   I had it professionally welded up a couple of years ago, but it
broke into two pieces within about a month.  Just recently I had to put it
back on for emissions reasons, so I did a quick weld up using my own amateur
skills and wire feed welder; it got me through the inspection, but is now
leaking again.  I took it off and tried welding it more carefully, but had
trouble.  There was a lot of spatter and the beads resisted "sticking" to
the metal.  And I couldnt get a continuous weld, the welds insisting on
"beading up" kind of like water on a freshly waxed car.  I tried several
different settings on the welder with no luck.

My questions are:

Why did the welds behave like that?
And does anyone have any opinions about heat temperature epoxies in this
application?  My local auto parts store carries one; I thought that if I
smeared it all over the manifold, it would not only reinforce my welds, but
seal the small leaks between beads.

TIA!

Greg Rowe