Re: Oh No...Now stripped alum piece

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Oh No...Now stripped alum piece
From: Terry Thompson <firespiter@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 16:13:12 -0700 (PDT)
Even though I have 3 spare aluminum ones, they are all
either slanted, bent or tapered from front to back or
side to side. I thought of resurfacing, but they're
off as much as 1/16" on atleast one (mic'd), which
would require one serious blob of permatex to fill.
And then I or a mechanic might just wind-up stripping
out the holes later while installing or removing a
sump.
So I have a machinist making one for me out of steel.
I'm not sure why they made them out of aluminum. There
has to be a reason, as they've been like that for the
30 years of the standard eight's production. But since
no one seems to be able to tell me why it has to be
aluminum, I'm going to try a steel one.

I told him to charge me what he feels comfortable
with. It's very simple cuts, but a lot of measuring
since I told him to make the holes line-up perfectly
and to make the piece perfectly square. But if it
works out, and he feels comfortable making several for
a reasonable price, I may offer them up to the list at
cost.
-Terry