Re: Mallory dual point distributor

To: "Terry Thompson" <firespiter@yahoo.com>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Mallory dual point distributor
From: "ptegler@cablespeed" <ptegler@cablespeed.com>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 17:02:33 -0400
Terry,
    Punkin' (my x-'78 Spit) had a Mallory dual point.  (on
it when purchased)

I had fiddled with the curves (tried about every combo possible)
in my normal course of 'curiosity' testing.  I found my
old beat up Lucas ran just as well if not better.

I hope you didn't spend near retail  $$ (or even wholesale
for that matter)  on it.   Unless you've gone to a wild cam
and bigger carbs, the dual point doesn't do anything for you
except look cool (non-stock) and eat up TWO sets of points at
a time.

Seriously though... I ended up with a linear advance up to about
12 degrees at 2500rpm  then letting it max out abruptly, seemed
to run the best.

Then I realized that curve almost matched perfectly with the
original Opus elec dist curve.  I ended up putting a Pertronix
in the Lucas, and ended up increasing mpg by about 4-6mpg.
So the Mallory didn't go back on till I sold her.

Paul Tegler
ptegler@cablespeed.com
www.teglerizer.com