vibration at speed

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: vibration at speed
From: Gary Leroux <geevee@shaw.ca>
Date: Fri, 16 May 2003 18:41:17 -0700
After a couple years of amateur restoration I finally have my mark 3 spit on
the road.  I of course have a few final problems giving me major headaches,
hopefully I can get some input from list members.  Problems as follows:

1-  the bonnet seems twisted and does not fit properly, too far away on the
passenger side and too close on the drivers side.  If I adjust the pivot bolts
to compensate they are both at their maximum adjustment and the bonnet is
flexed and bowed.......any ideas?  can I raise the bonnet and twist in the
right direction or will this just cause more trouble?

2-  the doors do not fit correctly, both bottom rear edges are rubbing ( very
nasty on the new paint job ) and the strikers are up as high as they can go.
The passenger door is also as far forward as it will go and there is barely any
door gap at the rear.  Any ideas?

3-  There is a serious vibration problem at about 45 miles an hour that seems
to be originating in the rear of the car.  I have tightened all flanges and the
u-joints seem good and the tires are new and balanced.  What could be the cause
and how do go about checking possible causes.

as usual thanks to all who respond I really appreciate the input and can't wait
to get driving!
                                                Gary.