Re-grind the Crank, or not !!!

To: doug@dougbraun.com, growe58@hotmail.com, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re-grind the Crank, or not !!!
From: JohnZissler@aol.com
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 05:24:09 EDT
Hi Doug,
 Well it all depends on how worn the shells are. If the engine emits a
clanking sound then this will mean that the crank itself 'could' have been
scored which will mean a re-grind. If on the other hand the shells are merely
'worn' and they havent been banging against the crank then new shells will be
ok. All depends on how long the worn shells have been used. I used to be able
to tell how much shells were worn by the different layers of metal that the
shells were made up of. I seem to recollect that a bronze colour meant a
re-grind but a silver layer meant a worn shell, but replaceable.But its been
many years since I was in that business, so dont rely on that recollection.

Happy Spitting..................John  (In the UK)

Spitfire MkII in bits. (Others call it restoration)
Spitfire Chassis MkIV (awaiting a spot of welding) I am nearly a collector
!!!!!!!
Spitfire Mk III (for spares)   I 'am' a collector !!!!!!

This email is scanned by AVG Anti-virus protection  (www.grisoft.com)