door alignment

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: door alignment
From: Gary Leroux <geevee@shaw.ca>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 19:55:06 -0700
After bodywork and paint I am reassembling my 1970 mark3 spit and having some
problems with panel alignment.  The hood ( bonnet ) is too close to the drivers
side door and too far away with too much gap from the passenger side door.  I
think it may be warped because when I have tried to adjust it using the two
bolts where the bonnet pivots the bonnet is bowed out on the passenger side and
bowed inwards on the drivers side.......any suggestions on adjustment, are
there other places where this adjustment might be accomplished?
Also although I am satisfied with my door fit the latches do not seem to close
positively and they rattle considerably.  I have worked with both the latches
themselves and the door hinges to try to get an adjustment that works but so
far no luck.  These doors USED to fit so what am I doing wrong?  There is no
door weather stripping installed at present but these doors closed without
rattle and excessive movement previously.  I would appreciate any guidance as I
seem to be getting no where right now and this is driving weather!
Anxiously awaiting your answers.....thanks, Gary.