Re: dist question

To: spitfires@autox.team.net, spitlist@gte.net
Subject: Re: dist question
From: "George P." <ygpz4re@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 08:50:56 -0400
Hi Joe,

If you could ship the Delco clamp, I'd be most appreciative.  I'll return
the Lucas clamp all cleaned up and looking good (for your, or someone
else's, use).  I never did find any part number stamped on the cast mounting
block (mine or yours).  Closed up the gap by inserting 3 paper gaskets under
the mounting block.  Lucas clamp is working for now, but it's at the minimum
limit of its travel, if that makes any sense.  Just seems the Delco clamp
would be a better way to do it.

I won't argue your contention that all mounting blocks (for Spits, anyway)
are created equally, but it seems that that would imply that all dists are
created at least semi-equally.  That is, they would have the same shaft
length from where it sits on the cast mounting block all the down to the
drive gear.  Is that a safe assumption?

Here's another $64 question - Why would my engine be revving to 4-5K (choke
ON), when the throttles are barely cracked open??  I played with the choke
linkage and see/understand how it interacts with the throttle controls, but
the throttles move so slightly, I can't imagine how it's getting to 4-5K
rpm???

Is there any link with answers to "Stupid SU questions" (like the one
above)?

Also, is there any link with directions for initial settings (jets x
turns/flats down, throttle position screws set how?, choke/throttle screws?,
choke cam position? How do I control how far down the jets drop when the
choke is pulled on? How do I coordinate the jet dropping/throttle advancing
when I pull the choke knob out? etc.) on SU carbs?  I have several sets of
tuning instructions, but they all start out with "Get car up to operating
temperature...."   I need to be able to get the car to *RUN* (or at least
*keep* running) before I can start tuning at operating temp!  I don't think
I want to be warming my cold engine at 4-5K rpm...

But because it seems to be my biggest stumbling block right now, I'll repeat
the question:  *WHY* would my engine be revving to 4-5K (choke ON), when the
throttles are barely cracked open??

Thanks again for any answers (past, present, *and* future!).  :-)

George P.

p.s. - On the plus side, the timing seems to be in pretty good shape right
now!  :-)